Test Taking Skills
Anxiety Feeling– very nervous and uncomfortable
Discipline– control over your behavior
Freeze up– be unable to move or think clearly because of fear
Material– the content information in a book or test
Second guess yourself– have doubts about a decision that felt right the first time.
Test taking is a skill you can learn. Do you freeze up when a teacher says it’s time for a test? Do you get so nervous that you make stupid mistakes? Unlearning test anxiety takes mental discipline. Study the following steps and your test scores will go up in all subjects!
1. Do your homework and go to class. This way you will know the material and won’t have as much reason to be afraid.
2. Sleep well the night before. Review the material in the afternoon, then relax in the evening. Eat a good breakfast. You need to be strong and refreshed to do your best.
3. Come prepared with paper, pen, pencil, eraser, a watch, and book or dictionary if they are allowed.
4. Read the instructions twice. Read the questions well before you answer.
5. Breathe. When you feel yourself start to get anxious, put your pencil down on the table, out of your hand, close your eyes, and count to 10. If you think you don’t have time, remember that if you’re anxious, you can’t think well and will make stupid mistakes. Only relaxed can you do your best.Today’s lesson is given to you by Deborah Brooks at www.yourpersonaltutor.com
Deborah teaches English writing by internet. She has students from all over the world who send writing to her by email.
Students can be high beginning to very advanced. Writing can be academic, personal or for business. Send her an email to see if she can help you!
Check Your UnderstandingTrue or False. Check your answers below.
1. Study every day, not just before a test.
2. You should stay up late studying the night before a big test.
3. Don’t bring anything. They always have a clock on the wall.
4. Read the instructions twice before you answer.
5. When you start getting anxious, keep going. Remember, you don’t have enough time to do everything.
6. If your answer doesn’t look good on second reading, change it.
Answers 1-T 2-F 3-F 4-T 5-T 6-F 7-F