Idioms that use parts of the body
see eye to eye– agree. Joan and Grant see eye to eye on spiders. They both hate them.
put one’s foot in one’s mouth– to say something embarrassing and then realize it was bad. I said Frank was ugly and then I realized he heard me. I really put my foot in my mouth.
stay on one’s toes– be ready/ prepared for something. Firefighters have to stay on their toes. They may have to fight a fire at anytime.
keep an eye on– watch something to make sure it is okay. Could you keep an eye on the baby while I go to the store?
lend/give someone a hand– to help with something. That box looks heavy. Let me give you a hand.
be in over one’s head– be in a situation that is very difficult. Alan was really in over his head when he started studying advanced chemistry. It was so hard for him.
keep one’s fingers crossed– to hope that something good will happen. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I will get that job.
get cold feet– get nervous, especially before marriage. The night before the wedding Alex got cold feet. He wondered if he should really get married.
have one’s heart set on something– really want something. My son Tommy really has his heart set on that new bicycle. Maybe I will buy it for his birthday.
Questions and AnswersFill in the blank with the correct idiom. Here are your choices:
see eye to eye, putting his foot in his mouth, stay on their toes, keep an eye on, lend me a hand, in over my head, keeping her fingers crossed, get cold feet, had her heart set on
1. Florence some chocolate cake from Claim Jumper Restaurant. She’s been wanting it for a week.
Check Answer had her heart set on
2. Mary doesn’t with her boss. He wants her to work until 7:00, but she doesn’t want to stay past 6:00.
Check Answer see eye to eye
3. I have to pay rent, buy food, fix my broken car, and pay for the utilities. It’s terrible. I don’t have enough money and I am really .
Check Answer in over my head
4. Tanya asked her boss for more money. She is and hoping he will give her a raise.
Check Answer keeping her fingers crossed
5. I’m having problems with this homework. I know you understand it. Could you ?
Check Answer lend me a hand
8. Doctors have to in the emergency room. Anything could happen at any time.
Check Answer stay on their toes
7. Joey is always saying embarrassing things and then . Why does he keep doing that?
Check Answer putting his foot in his mouth
8. People often before they marry. Marriage is a serious thing to do.
Check Answer get cold feet
9. Karen asked me to her purse while she goes to the bathroom. She doesn’t want it to be stolen.
Check Answer keep an eye on