homicide– killing a person
suicide– killing one’s self
infanticide– killing babies
genocide– killing large groups of people (like a race of people)
insecticide– killing insects
pesticide– also means killing insects
herbicide– killing plants
So can you guess what -cide means?
Check Your UnderstandingMultiple Choice
Choose the correct answer. Check your answers by clicking on the arrow below.
1. There are so many bugs eating my plants. I need to buy some ___.
2. During World War II, Hitler tried to kill all of the Jews by ___.
3. My friend almost killed himself with a knife. I can’t believe he tried to commit ___.
4. I planted these flowers but these other plants are growing too. I’m going to use this ___ to kill the ones I don’t want.
5. Oh, I hate all of these insects in my house. I need to use some ___ on them.
6. Some people who don’t want their babies commit ___.
7. This year there have been fewer ___ in my city. Last year twelve people were killed and this year there have been ten.
Answers 1-c 2-a 3-b 4-a 5-b 6-c 7-a